• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ypal

ypal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:39 AM

I'm noticing that the ajax based drag and drop sitebuilders like webs.com and webnode.com are winning over my customers. They are so much easier to use and I would really like to know when you going to change to that platform? I feel that if this won't happen soon, my business will close.

#2 pairote

pairote

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

We tried drag and drop before. It looks like to be easy in the beginning but when using it to build the real website it is very hard and very easy to break the layout of the site. There is no plan to change the WYSIWYG system. However, we do have plan to put the drag and drop form generator (http://jotform.com/) on it.

#3 ypal

ypal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

Thank you for your response. Would you please explain what you mean that it is "very easy to break the layout of the site" with the drag and drop system. How about creating something like drag and drop for the Layout Template section, it's just so difficult to have a non-technical person understand the tables system.

#4 SoftDux

SoftDux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

I have seen, and used many Drag `n Drop type AJAX site builders, which works very well. In fact, some of our client don't even bother using RVSiteBuilder since it doesn't even come close to what they're using. Please re-investigate this possibility, since it could put RVSiteBuilder in the lead. Currently the competition is winning.
Linux & Windows Shared, Reseller, VPS & Dedicated hosting in South Africa & USA. Visit http://www.SoftDux.com

#5 pairote

pairote

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:37 PM

I'm noticing that the ajax based drag and drop sitebuilders like webs.com and webnode.com are winning over my customers. They are so much easier to use and I would really like to know when you going to change to that platform? I feel that if this won't happen soon, my business will close.

I just have a time to evaluate your suggested sites.

webs.com. I totally lost and cannot create a simple website.

Webnode.com looks impressive. I still don't like it. I need to click on a block in order to edit or add a title, and content of each block. And need to do it every step. It is quite annoying. It is very slow too. Its good feature is moving the content around. I noted it on the feature request. But still not have idea how to put it all together. Coding is easy but we need to keep it simple.

I have seen, and used many Drag `n Drop type AJAX site builders, which works very well. In fact, some of our client don't even bother using RVSiteBuilder since it doesn't even come close to what they're using. Please re-investigate this possibility, since it could put RVSiteBuilder in the lead. Currently the competition is winning.

Can you provide a name of those which you think it is better?

#6 ypal

ypal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:41 AM

I have watched many people try to use the RVSiteBuilder and I can tell you where their frustration is. So let me give some suggestions on how to make RVSiteBuilder better than your competitors. The very first place where people get stuck is on Step 3, they don't understand the purpose of this step and they think that?s the place where they need to add the content and can't find how to do that. When building the program you have to keep in mind the user, the one that doesn?t know how to build a site and doesn't really understand what embed code means because they don't understand the jargon. So may be moving the "embed code" option to another place will eliminate the frustration in the beginning of the building process.

Then the next biggest concern that the users have is creating actual content pages. Novice users don't understand tables, that's why having a way for them to choose their layout from a preset is the best choice. A lot of people who tested the RVSitebuilder don?t see the "layout template" because it's so small on the menu bar and totally miss that. The people that I've told about the "layout template" say it's really hard to visualize the outcome with all the same sunflower images and once they choose one, they get frustrated with all the table cells. I've been told that the easiest sitebuilder to work with is smallbusiness.officelive.com

Having readymade templates like in www.webnodes.com where the user can click to edit content is even better. I know you said you don't like how you have to click on every block, that's because they have a pop up come up, but in the RVSiteBuilder you can create it so people just click on the text or image and edit it live without a pop up like in www.weebly.com It would also be great to be able to click on the main image and change that to another option right from the the template view page (Step 5)like in www.weebly.com Also to be able to change the title and subtitle to another font, color size right from the template view page (Step 5) would be much easier to see how the options look with the overall page design.

Another often asked for feature is to be able to insert "custom HTML" to any part of the site. This is the feature that RVSiteBuilder currently has in Step 3 to embed code, but users want to be able to add any code wherever they like, not just in those specific places. People that don't understand the coding will not go to code view to add any code because they don't know where to place it. People who want to put affiliate advertising often ask for this feature because the affiliate programs give the user the code to add to their site.

Adding modules or widgets is another big request. People want to be able to add calendars, maps, flickr photos, and many other widgets. Your current interface for adding images, music and videos is really outdated and hard to navigate, people are now more drawn to images and icons that show them exactly what they need. For example in www.weebly.com it's really easy to find how to add youTube videos vs. what there is now in the RVSitebuilder.

Well, I think you get the point, I can go on and on in the improvements. You can compare www.weebly.com, www.webnode.com and smallbusiness.officelive.com and grab the best features to improve the RVSitebuilder. There's a huge potential that RVSiteBuilder could be so much better then it's competition. If you have questions about any of my suggestions, please ask, I?ll be glad to explain more.

***Other people reading this and you agree with me, please add your comments so the admins can see that I'm not the only one requesting these changes.***

#7 thekabuki

thekabuki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:04 AM

YPAL: I am one of those users who is extremely frustrated in my attempts to create a website. While I finally was able to get it up and running, it is not even close to what I thought it was going to be. I do not know about tables, cells, blocks, etc etc. When I first looked at RV it seemed like it would be so easy...NOT! The process of creating my site was one of the most frustrating tasks I have every undertaken.

Everything you mentioned YPAL is exactly the things that are frustrating to a newbie like myself. I would hope RV takes some of these suggestions & reviews them and comes up with a more user friendly builder.

#8 pairote

pairote

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:40 PM

We are researching on the new layout + block design system for using on the WYSIWYG. Once I got a working demo, I will post it here.

#9 ScottK

ScottK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

More drag and drop features would be great. I have been using JotForm for a while now and it is very simple to use.

Is JotForm still being added to RVSitebuilder, this would be a great simple addition?

#10 SoftDux

SoftDux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE(pairote @ Jun 11 2009, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are researching on the new layout + block design system for using on the WYSIWYG. Once I got a working demo, I will post it here.

When can we expect a better interface with drag and drop features?
Linux & Windows Shared, Reseller, VPS & Dedicated hosting in South Africa & USA. Visit http://www.SoftDux.com

#11 pairote

pairote

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:18 AM

Jotform is included in v4. But drag and drop will not be implemented on WYSIWYG. The new editor still be WYSIWyG but can switch the layout. Let's see it on v4. We will distribute it on Monday April 19, 2010.